Happy New Year!
In his article, Brown chose five technological advances and highlighted how each has be redesigned either in shape or purpose, including Amazon’s use of a droid to deliver a package to a customer in 30 minutes! (Apparently, Amazon has referred to this experimental delivery project as Amazon Prime Air. Maybe Canada Post can find inspiration from this company’s exceptional level of customer service in delivering packages…)
What I liked about Brown’s article in particular, however, was that while he highlighted redesigned, he also questioned how such technology could be creatively adapted to be take a more “human-centered” approach. For example, here are the questions he asked in regards to each of the redesigns:
- Drones: “It sounds like an oxymoron now, but how might we make “delightful drones” a reality in 2014?”
- Big Data: “What if we took a human-centered approach and designed transparent data platforms that created value for companies and consumers alike? What if consumers could monetize their own data?”
- The Mobile Experience: “Inspired by experiences like Uber, how might designers create apps that seamlessly integrate into our everyday lives?”
- 3D Printing: “How might we create simple, engaging, creative tools that will shape a new wave of democratized design?”
- Self-Driving Vehicles: “How might we ensure that the auto industry takes a human-centered approach in all aspects of vehicle design in the coming year?”
This article seemed like the perfect way to start off the our company’s blog posts for the New Year given the emphasis on a human-centered approach. After all, our desire here at Philip J.W. Smith & Co. is to be human-centered, making sure that we do the best for you – whether “you” are a candidate, client, or conversation.
With this desire to be more human-centered, we’ve started the year of 2014 with a new look and redesigned our website! We’ve aimed to make it more user-friendly; to answer more of your questions upfront about who we are and what we do; and to offer you a variety of ways to connect with us based on your personal preferences and comfort level.
Wishing you a Happy New Year and all the best for 2014!